Mývatn has many wonderful things to offer. Our guests often stay longer than they originally plan. We recommend staying for at least three nights, for greater opportunites to see the Volcano Krafla area, Námaskarð, Dimmuborgir, Höfði, Skútustaðagígar and last but not least the lake itself with it’s spectacular bird life. There are several mountains and craters to climb (the view is better from the top, you see!). The Mývatn area offers airplane sightseeing, horseback riding, cave exploring, hiking and biking, swimming and relaxing. There are also bistros and cafe´s to try out, as well. The small village of Reykjahlíð has a supermarket, pharmacy, post office, bank and a car garage so you’ll get all the basic service you need.
For more information about Mývatn we suggest reading the Wikipedia article: Lake Myvatn
- The newest activity close to us is Dog Sledding, an amazing experience during the beautiful winter time
- Our friends at Hike and Bike offer some great tours and you can also rent a bike and do your own exploring
- Want to see the area from above? Try sightseeing with Myflug Air
- Dimmuborgir are such a unique, beautiful place – taking a walk there is a must
- For a relaxing, once-in-a-lifetime experience, visit Myvatn Nature Baths – It truly is amazing!
- No bird-lover can miss a visit to Sigurgeir Bird Museum – interesting educational, stunning surroundings
- In the Vogafjos – Cowshed, visitors can see the cows being milked and fed every day – great fun for the family!
- If you’re looking for adventures and breathtaking scenery, check out Askja with Myvatn Tours and Geotravel
- Horseback riding is a great way to take in nature and the Icelandic horse is unique! Contact Safari Hestar or Saltvik to book horseback riding tours
More information about restaurants and services in the area can be found on the Visit Mývatn website